Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Peaceful Life?


I saw this picture and it reminded me of a peaceful country town. Some people would say that I live in a place like this. I suppose in some ways I do. It is a small town. It has a grocery store, a library, some local shopping, and the always needed Wal-Mart. There are so many things going on though that are not peaceful. Challenges to be met.

A young man I know wants to go in the military. He is very smart. He scored through the roof on his entrance exam. He has his pick of military careers. He takes his physical and finds out he has a hearing problem. What? How can this be? What about his plans? More tests will follow. What if his lifelong plans have to change? How do you deal with that?

The end of the six weeks is approaching. A student is struggling to get her footing with so many hard classes. I cannot do it. I am a failure. The constant battle to manage her time. You can do it. This is just preparation for college. Stay focused. Turn your phone off while you study. You can do it. Go get tutoring from your teacher. The challenge to manage things on her own. The ability to have success even when it is hard. The preparation for doing it on your own in college. You can do it.

The first virus of the school year. Laying on the bathroom floor. "I don't feel good." Throwing up all night long. Missing two days of class. Eat a Popsicle. Get sick. Drink a Gatorade. Get sick. Finally the virus gives in to the constant bombardment of fluids. Lay on the couch. Allow your body to heal. Now all that make-up work for school. Hang in there.

A new part-time job at a church nursery. Can I do it? What if the babies don't take to me? What if I do not know what to do? The hours are good and work with the school schedule. Get up early and drink coffee. Get organized. Wash clothes on my day off. What will I fix for supper tonight? Run the dishwasher before I leave in the morning. Feed the dog and cats. Don't forget to bring the trash dumpsters up. What about breakfast? Take something to eat for lunch. Breathe. 

Plan a college visit. No hotel rooms available. Football game. Tailgate party. Dorm room accommodations for the kids. What about the campus? Do you like it? Is this where you want to go to college? Do they have your degree plan? It is so far from home, is that a good idea? You have to share a bathroom with several other students. Can you deal with that? Submit a dorm request. Make a deposit. College life is approaching fast.

The challenges of everyday life. Sometimes they are overwhelming. How can I get through each day?

Ecclesiastes 7:14
When times are good, be happy;
but when times are bad, consider:
God has made the one as well as the other.
Therefore a man cannot discover anything about this future.

God knows our future. God planned our future. Why do we worry and fret over each day as if it is the end of the world? Shouldn't we trust more in God? Why is that so hard? We should be happy in all circumstances because of God. I am not saying to give up and have a fake smile. I am saying trust God to get you through the situation. Work hard. Be diligent. Trust God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment