Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Do Not Lose Heart

16So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. 17For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (ESV)

Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me.
Psalm 23:4


These two Bible verses were part of my devotions last weekend. It never ceases to amaze me how God knows exactly what we need.

We had been to see Mimi and when we got back in the car, I opened my devotion. I was stunned and pleased to read the words of Paul. Her outer self was wasting away, but she was being renewed day by day. What a relief! This momentary (in God's time) suffering was preparing her for eternal life. It reminded me that even in difficult times God is there overseeing all of it.

The second devotion talked about the "shadow of death". It reminded me that this unpleasantness will pass. Death is inevitable. The path to death is inevitable. Maybe there is lingering unpleasantness or maybe death finds us quickly, but either way "thou art with me". That provides me great comfort.

If you or someone you know is suffering, turn to God. He is waiting, providing, comforting.


Photo credits:
© 2012 Zarita de la Cerda Interior Design

No comments:

Post a Comment